France has closed its border in its fight against Covid 19: Which consequences ?
Legal article written by Victoire VINCENT, juriste and Haywood WISE, attorney
On March 17, 2020, the European Union closed its borders in a joint effort to fight against the Covid 19 threat.
France, following European Union guidance, therefore closed its borders at noon on Tuesday March 17th for a term of 30 days, subject to possible extension.
The only foreign persons allowed to enter France during the border closure are:
- European Union passport holders or citizens of the Schengen Space, as well as their spouses and children,
- Third party country holders of a European residency permit, such as a French carte de séjour,
- Third party country holders of permanent residency status in France, and
- Certain health professionals and diplomats.
All other persons, notwithstanding their status, can not enter France. Furthermore it is strongly recommended that foreigners currently in France, and holders of a long stay visa or residency card (carte de séjour), should not leave the French territory, since they will be at risk of being unable to return to France during the period of border closure.
As regards French persons who are currently abroad, The European Ministry and the Minister of Foreign Affairs recommends that they limit their international travel. For those who wish to return to France imperatively, the French government is currently in communication with the airlines, such as Air France, to organize return flights. Those concerned should contact the Embassy or French Consulate closest to them.
Emergency housing has been arranged for French persons that are stranded abroad with the volunteer association www.sosuntoit.fr.
For the countries bordering France, special provisions have been made to allow border workers to cross the French border.
It is not prohibited to leave the French territory by a terrestrial border if the border is open in the other direction.
For additional information, please read the documents in link below:
- avril 2020
- mars 2020
- Fermeture des frontières françaises, quelles conséquences pour les étrangers ?
- Coronavirus epidemic: Extension of Validity Periods of Visas and Cartes de Séjour
- Coronavirus : Extension de validité des titres de séjour et des visas long séjour
- Coronavirus epidemic: Measures taken by the Prefectures in France